EAGLE2012


Go to content

PUB HISTORY

Pub History
The first official reference to an ale house in the small village of Ashley Green, was dated 1692, when the landowners, farmers and residents, debated gossiped and quenched their thirst, at “the house on the path near the village green”.

By the time of Queen Victoria, the well-farmed land around the village was enjoying prosperity from patronage of the royal household and colonial power. Some landowners allowed their tenants to join in the time of social change, and gained a license for the tenant to use their domestic property to sell intoxicating liquor. Thus in 1856, Samuel Blake opened his popular door, as a public house called “The Eagle”.

HOME | MEALS and MENUS | SPECIAL EVENINGS | SOME PICTURES | PUB HISTORY | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu